Saturday, January 3, 2009

Thirsty Bear - Down Town San Francisco

Thirsty Bear is a good Spanish restaurant with its own brewery inside. I'm told the usual way to enjoy a meal here is to order Paella, a rice dish, for the table and each person should order a couple Tapas (small dishes) to share with the table (or don't). Our server suggested that two or three Tapas per person would be good for us, but seeing as how Paula and Brittney are light eaters and it was early in the day we each got one Tapa. The Paella we ordered was the Paella of the Day. It had chicken, zucchini, yellow squash and feta -- very, very delicious. For Tapas we had Fried Calamari and Capers, Chicken Adobado Skewers with Green Beans Mashed Potatoes and Tarragon Mustard Sauce, Organic Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Pear, Shallots and Toasted Hazelnuts, and Patatas Bravas: fried potatoes with spicy brava sauce. The winners here were the Brussel Sprouts and the Patatas hands down. I haven't eaten Brussel Sprouts since I was about 8. I threw most of them in a napkin in my lap back then, and put them in the trash after dinner. My dad found them and made me finish them. Those were nothing close to these Thirsty Bear Sprouts. Yummy. The Mashed Potatoes that came with my Chicken Skewers were really good too.

If you go here you should also try their beer. The girls liked their Vanilla brew and I had one of their seasonal beers though I can't remember the name (it was something like, insanity or intensity).

DIRECTIONS

1 comment:

  1. If yer ever down in San Jose, this is one of the best nyum nyum places to go.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/tanto-japanese-restaurant-san-jose

    ReplyDelete